UPDATED - 01/01/2016 as per HB 836 ACT No. 436
Marriage Department is responsible for issuing Marriage Licenses and
accepting applications for United States
Passports. Pursuant to applicable
Louisiana statutes, applicants for Marriage
Licenses must provide:
- COMPLETED Application for Marriage License (notarized). All of the information requested on the application MUST be provided by the parties.
- Both parties are required to be present to purchase a Marriage License.
- **In the event only one party can be present to purchase the license the Application will need to be completed by both parties and notarized PRIOR to purchasing the Marriage License with the Clerks office.
Certified copies of birth certificates for both parties:
- If an applicant is born outside of the United States, the applicant shall submit a birth certificate under seal of the U.S. or ALL of the following:
- A copy of the birth certificate under the raised seal or stamp of the vital statistics registration authority of the person's place of birth.
- If the birth certificate is not printed in English, the party shall obtain a copy translated in English. A foreign birth certificate must be translated into English by a certified translator. The foreign language originals must be submitted along with the original translations. Providing a translation is no guarantee that the birth certificate with be accepted and a license issued. The deputy clerk must be able to discern the document's facts.
- A valid and unexpired passport or an unexpired visa accompanied by a Form I-94 as issued by the United States verifying the applicant is lawfully in the U.S.
- Parties must provide a valid and unexpired driver's license, government-issued ID card or a valid and unexpired passport from the country of his birth or an unexpired visa accompanied by Form I-94 as issued by the United States.
purchase a marriage license without parental or court intervention you
must be at least 18 years old. If either party to the marriage is
between the ages of 16 and 18, the signatures of both parents of that
required. If either party is under the age of 16, a court order and
signatures of both parents of that party are required in order to
obtain a license.
Licenses must be purchased at least 72
hours in advance
of the ceremony.
A Marriage License expires 30 days from the
date of issue.
- The cost is $35.00, payable
in cash, check or money order to the Clerk of Court (This price includes
a Certified Copy of your recorded Marriage License).
***You may be interested in entering into a Covenant Marriage. Please see requirements here!***
Licenses obtained in Louisiana may only be used in Louisiana.
The Clerk of Court's Amite Office can now produce Louisiana Birth Certificates. Click the Birth Certificates link to the right for what is required.