UPDATED - 08/28/2017 as per R.S. 221-228 and CCP 74.3.1
Based on ruling in Vo vs. Gee, U.S.D.C. Eastern District of Louisiana No. 16-15639
Marriage Department is responsible for issuing Marriage Licenses and
accepting applications for United States
Pursuant to applicable
Louisiana statutes, applicants for Marriage
Licenses must provide:
- COMPLETED Application for Marriage License . All of the information requested on the application MUST be provided by the parties.
**You must provide the date your most recent marriage ended.
**One party may present all required documentation to receive the license. Party or Parties present must show a drivers license or government issued ID when signing the Marriage License Application.
- Applicants must present an original or certified copy of their birth record. If either party was born outside the United States he/she must present the original birth certificate. If the birth certificate is not in English, applicant(s) must also provide a translated copy.
Certificates of Naturalization can also be accepted in place of a birth record.
purchase a marriage license without parental or court intervention you
must be at least 18 years old. If either party to the marriage is
between the ages of 16 and 18, the signatures of both parents of that
required. If either party is under the age of 16, a court order and
signatures of both parents of that party are required in order to
obtain a license.
Licenses must be purchased at least 24 hours in advance of the ceremony. (eff. 8/1/2018)
A Marriage License expires 30 days from the date of issue.
- The cost is $35.00, payable
in cash, check or credit card to the Clerk of Court (This price includes
a Certified Copy of your recorded Marriage License).
- If you are acquiring your license in our Hammond office you will need to arrive by 3:30 pm.
- For further assistance or questions, please contact our Marriage License Department at (985) 748-4146.
***You may be interested in entering into a Covenant Marriage. Please see requirements here!***
Licenses obtained in Louisiana may only be used in Louisiana.
The Clerk of Court's Amite Office can now produce Louisiana Birth Certificates. Click the Birth Certificates link to the right for what is required.