Instructional Course for Prospective (New) Commissioners
Gary T. Stanga, Clerk of Court, announces that a course of instruction will be held each year for all persons interested in becoming a “new” commissioner. YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON and meet the following qualifications as per R.S. 18:425B & 18:428A.
Qualifications for Commissioner:
- Qualified voter, who is not marked for assistance in voting in the precinct register;
- Can be 17 years old in the 12th grade;
- Not a candidate in the election or a child, child's spouse, brother, brother's spouse, sister, sister's spouse, parent, spouse, or parents of the spouse of candidate in precinct where serving;
- Registered to vote in ward serving unless replacements are necessary;
- Not having been convicted of an election offense;
- Successfully completed training;
- Not a law enforcement officer; and
- Attend training and pass at least 10 questions of a 15-question test.
Information about the Commissioner Class:
- All schools last approximately 2.5 to 3 hours. (1.5 hour lecture with open book test followed by hands on training of voting machines.)
- Before leaving the class, you will find out if you successfully passed the test.
If you are interested in becoming a "new" commissioner, please download and complete the Registration Form below. Commissioners receive $200.00 per election.
Commissioner Class Registration Form
Next Commissioner Training Course Schedule
Our office is always seeking motivated individuals willing to dedicate their time by participating in elections as a Commissioner. In order to do this, we have election classes for new commissioners each year. The following dates are for new commissioner trainings, for the current year:
Wednesday, August 11, 2021 (5:00 pm - 8:00 pm) at – Florida Parishes Arena Events Center